Three of our team members volunteered their time to Missouri Mission of Mercy. The Missouri Mission of Mercy (MOMOM) is a large scale dental clinic to provide free oral healthcare to patients of all ages who cannot otherwise afford care. Dental services are provided at no cost to those that attend in an effort to reach Missourians who cannot otherwise receive dental treatment. MOMOM took place May 3-4, 2013, at the Show Me Center in Cape Girardeau, Mo.Learn more about MOMOM at www.momom.org.
Breakdown of 2013 MOMOM:
- $961,582 donated in free care
- 1,777 patient encounters (including 1,165 Fillings / 2,606 Extractions / 633 Cleanings)
- 1,016 Volunteers (including Dentists – 154 / Hygienists – 67 / Assistants – 128 / Physicians – 1 / Nurses – 22 / General Volunteers – 644)
Megan Baugh, RDH provided dental cleanings to patients (at 8 months pregnant!)
Pam Morgan worked in a number of different areas from registration to patient escorting (none of which are an easy task)
Dr. Tisha Kice-Briggs saw patients for extractions and fillings (this is her second year of volunteering and many more to come)
These ladies started their day for MOMOM at 4am!
Birds eye view of a very small portion of the patient care area
After patients are completed their treatment they have the opportunity to write a note thanking the providers. This goes to show how amazing MOMOM is!
What patients are saying about MOMOM (from just a few of the hundreds of comment cards):
- Hello Teeth Magicians! I appreciate you guys so much. I appreciate being relieved of pain! For free! There has been a bunch of caring, amazing folks.
- It is supremely humbling to see so many people come out and volunteer their time and donate their services to help fellow humans in a gracious act of mercy. God bless you all.
- Thank you so much for providing this free service. You may have saved my life.
- You all are a gift from God. Thank you for giving me my smile back.
- I have never been to a dentist. I admit at 31, I was very worried. Everyone was great and made it easier for me.
- This was one of the most awesome experiences of my life of 42 years.
- It was worth being here 10 and ½ hours.
- Thank you so much for the tenderness you showed me.
- Surprised by the amount of volunteers and the speed of processing. Rather enjoyable.
- Your act of kindness has put a smile on my face and helped to keep one on my brother.
What dental professionals are saying about MOMOM:
- I was overwhelmed by how appreciative all of the patients were.
- She was BESIDES herself with tears of JOY!THIS is what makes these events great!
- Everything about it, from check in, to the administrators, to those who escorted the patients, was a pleasure.
- Volunteering in such a setting ALWAYS reminds me how blessed I am to have such a skill to offer. It renews my love of dentistry.
- I feel so proud of our state and grateful to be a part of its dental community.
- I would have loved to have been in every section just to see what everyone else experiences. Thanks to everyone for your perseverance and dedication. I know there were a lot of appreciative people.
- We were touched by so many patients and volunteers and enjoyed the experience immensely!! We need the dates of the next MOMOM so we can attend next year!
MOMOM happens every year and they are always in need of volunteers. Even if you aren't available for the entire two days! Dental knowledge isn't necessary... just a heart ready to help others!